October 13, 2012

On Bullying...

So, I do my best to keep this blog filled with all things positive, cute & happy. But this is something that I really wanted to write about, it is something that seems never ending and I am just in absolute shock every time I hear of another story.
BULLYING.
I can't believe how much this effects so many peoples lives, and we say we all want to stop it, and there are campaigns out there, and loved ones of people who were bullied and took their lives who speak out.  But nothing works. This continues to happen every single day, and it makes me sick. I am not naive enough to think that this is ever going to stop once and for all, I know that bullies will always be out there, but I do think there is more to be done to make it stop. Schools need to enforce actual rules and laws around bullying. There should be staff hired at each school who become the eyes and ears of the school and help to put a stop to it. The internet can be a really cruel place and it's scary how quick things can spread and how hurtful they can be. 

When I grew up, I am sure there were people who got bullied. I think we all got bullied in some way growing up. But it was never like this, people were never so cruel and there was always someone there.   I know there were people who got bullied, but people stuck up for them, they still had friends, and nothing ever ended in someone so innocent taking their own life.

To think that there are people out there who feel like they have absolutely nobody to turn to is heart breaking.  I don't know what we can do to stop it, and unfortunately I don't think we ourselves can. But one thing we can do is continue to be kind every day. Give a stranger a compliment, hold the door, share a smile, spread some kind of love. It's the least we can all do.

Amanda Todd took her life on October 10th. She was bullied to the point of death. Sure there are some things she did that she regrets, but these things did not make her undeserving of life. She never got a second chance. The bullies followed her everywhere she went. I just hope that this story helps raise even more awareness about bullying and that it will inspire others to do good, to be the change.

The sad thing is, things like that make me terrified to have children some day. Some things are just beyond your control, and to think that my kids (some day) might have to go through something so horrible, is so upsetting. It's a scary world out there and I just hope that there is still a chance for children to have the childhood they deserve. One filled with laughs, smiles, friendships, adventures and just being silly and being yourself. 

Here is an article about Amanda's mom wanting her video to help others out there in the same position.

Also, here is the link to the video that Amanda posted. Ugh, my heart.

Sorry to post something so sad but I had to write about this. My heart goes out to those who are effected by Amanda's death, and anyone out there who feels how Amanda felt.

It's wishful thinking, but I still hope we can put a stop to bullying.

5 comments:

  1. It's ridiculous how often people bully others and how far they go. Stalking? What kind of person does that? I understand having rivals when you're young but it's creepy to stalk and have that person revolve around their life so much. People need to focus on gaining self confidence AND being kind. Instead of schools telling their students not to bully, they should share a video on someone's story. Hopefully that will open up eyes.

    No one deserves that. :(


    ReplyDelete
  2. I read an article about this and watched the video and my heart broke a little. It's so insane. I mean, I've had bullies, we've all had bullies, so I don't know what it is about particular cases that really drives it over the edge somehow. The only thing I can think of about why bullying has gotten worse and more known as an issue is because of social media - it makes it 1000 times easier to hide behind a screen to say something nasty. Some of the worst things that have been said to me have been through msn or facebook. It's sad but true.

    Thanks for sharing xo
    http://kittysnooks.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe this.. She just died 4 days ago.. and no one was there for her. This is soo sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It kills me when I hear stories like this and they're almost always so young. I believe it was just as prevalent when my parents were going up as it is now except I do think social networking and this online mask it allows people to create makes it far, far worse, to the point where I almost think it's unhealthy for vulnerable teens to be online. We had a great Chaplin into school and my secondary school really reinforced their anti-bullying policy quite a lot. The very upsetting thing is a lot of kids being affected by it would keep quite or go unnoticed because it wasn't as obvious as physical bullying. I found out a couple of years ago a friend of mine got bullied badly in the school bathrooms for being gay when he was in first year (about 13), which makes me sick. They tried to put cameras in the bathrooms when I was 16 but of course all hell broke loose and they took them down. It's really a tough thing, bullying. I'd just love these young people to know there is always someone there and someone to talk to :(

    Thanks for posting, you can never raise enough awareness on an issue like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read an interesting article earlier today, that made me think.
    http://www.vancouverobserver.com/blogs/feminista/why-isnt-anyone-talking-about-misogyny-involved-amanda-todds-life-and-death
    The author of the article makes a great point about how something that could have been a "wow-this-guy-is-a-predatory-ass-hole" turned into a slut-shaming community hating on her. Yes she made a mistake, but the community could have accepted her instead of siding with the ass that blackmailed her. I find it incredibly frustrating.
    If you've got a few mins you should read it, I'd love to know what your opinion is on the article.

    ReplyDelete

you are so cute! thanks for commenting:)