September 16, 2014

What I learned from Blog Podium : Part One

So like I mentioned before, this past weekend I got the chance to go to Blog Podium. I went two years ago, but missed last years. Blog Podium is a conference in Toronto for Design & Lifestyle Bloggers. Since I just launched my new blog and am getting back in to the groove, I thought the timing was perfect to get inspired! My babe bought me a ticket to the conference for my 30th birthday and I am so glad that I went!

I am still feeling so driven after Saturday, and I have so many ideas that my head my explode.  When we arrived at the conference we got a cute-as-can-be notebook from Minted for the day. I literally almost filled the whole book up!

I realized that since I have A LOT of notes,  I will make this in to a two part series to make sure I let you all know just how much awesome stuff I learned. Let's be blogger besties.

Making your blog reflect YOU! :
  • Your blog is free branding. Make sure your blog symbolizes who you are!
  • Utilize the things you love and marry that to your blog
  • Ditch your pride / Take risks / Believe in yourself / Trust others / Become a better you
  • Write a mantra for your blog! (I am so excited to do this)
  • Use Facebook groups to connect and network and share
  • "Focus on your content and the rest will take care of itself"
  • You are what you blog!

When it comes to photography on your blog :
  • If you take a photo of something that's pretty, you have way better chance of success (photograph it well and right!)
  • Have a consistent style when it comes to photo taking
  • Use props to tell your story
  • Make sure the hero in the photo is obvious
  • Define a colour palette and keep your colour consistent
  • Natural light is always best
  • Build your own brand
  • Make a style guide for your blog ; create a mood board, make your look, decide on your colours and style, do search (whose work do you love?)
  • Light can make or break your photo
  • Choose small props
  • Buy a ruler, and use it!

Bloggers & Brands :
  • Keep your pitch short (about one page)
  • Network with other bloggers
  • Make a list of bloggers and brands you want to work with
  • NBB - Never Be Boring
  • Create a facebook page for your brand
  • Use LinkedIn to connect with brands
  • Make sure your pitch looks pretty
  • Always leave a personal note when contacting a blogger or brand
  • Think of yourself as the reader as well as the writer
  • Always ask yourself "Would I read this?"
  • No matter what, always hit "preview" and check for errors or typos before posting
  • Create shareable, well written content
  • Don't just tweet links - be active and build engagement

More bloggy goodness coming soon! Love ya all.

2 comments:

  1. I soooo wish I was able to go. It's just gotten WAY to expensive for me to be completely honest. So thanks for sharing this girlie ;). I'm hoping with enough creeping on blogs I can get enough of the info covered at this year's event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, yeah! It's definitely a bit pricey, but a good investment I think! :) That was why I asked for it for my birthday, hehehe. No problem, I've got more points that I will share this weekend! Can't wait to hear about your new blog! Let me know when it's ready!
      xo

      Delete

you are so cute! thanks for commenting:)