June 20, 2018

looking for lykke

LYKKE ;;
THE DANISH SEARCH FOR THE WORLD'S HAPPIEST PEOPLE.

If you've been reading my blog or following me for a while, then you know my love for Hygge & Happiness. You can read my post if you don't know about Hygge yet, but *basically* it's about creating a quiet, cosy, sweet life with those you love most. It's really just an experience that is so simply and easy to create.

When Meik Wiking announced his book (I loved the Little Book Of Hygge) I obviously knew I'd want to read it. Not only that, but last Fall Meik did a talk and book signing in Toronto and I got to meet him (!!!) Tried to keep my chill, obvs. Meik is the CEO at The Happiness Research Institute. How f*cking cool is that? He was obviously so wonderful and very kind.

This book did not disappoint. The Little Book Of Lykke (pronounced "Lou-ga") is a true quest for happiness and it's a breath of fresh air, if you will. This book is a hunt for finding out how to live a wonderful life. So, as I read it (during our trip to California) I highlighted my favourite parts or some snippets and quotes I knew I'd want to share with you all.

I'm all about spreading and sharing happiness hacks, trips and tips with anyone I possibly can. Meik has a passion for happiness that excites me so much!

And, I promise to continue #Look4Lykke everywhere I go - but for now, I'll share some of my favourite snipets from The Book Of Lykke by Meik Wiking ♥ (ALSO! Meik, chat with meeeee, I'm really happy I swear. lol)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Let's put a positive spin on the phrase "If you want to see something, say something. If you see something that increases the happiness of you, your community or the world as a whole, talk about it, write about it, film it, photograph it - pass it on"

"What we at the Happiness Research Institute and the World Happiness Report find is that the happiest countries have a strong sense of community, and the happiest people have someone they can rely on in times of need. That is why there is no coincidence that Danes are not only amongst the happiest people in the world but are also among the ones who meet most often with their friends and family and trust that their friends will catch them if they fall"

"Think of a time when you felt happy or - feel free to tone it down a bit - a time you felt good, or laughed or smiled. Bring that memory to mind and try to remember the details of the situation"

"Expect and understand that reaching your goal might make you happy - but only for a while. We continuously raise the bar for what we want or feel we need in order to be happy. Getting your book published will make you happy for a while, and then you adjust your ambition to hitting the Sunday Times best seller list, becoming a global phenomenon."

"Across cultures, there seems to be one thing that all parents wish for their children: good health. Good health enables us to play, to seek out adventures, to pursue happiness."

"No people can be truly happy if they do not feel hat they are choosing the course of their life" - World Happiness Report 2012

"If you want happiness for an hour - take a nap. If you want happiness for a day - go fishing. If you want happiness for a year - inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime - help someone else" (Chinese Proverb)

"There is an important word in Brazil, simpatico. It refers to a range of desirable social qualities - to be friendly, nice, agreeable and good natured, a person who is fun to be with and pleasant to deal with. It is a social quality. Brazilians want to be seen as simpatico.


8 Happiness Tips:

1) Eat like the French - create rituals of food and fire.

Make time to eat. Reclaim your lunchtime and sit with friends, family, colleagues, and enjoy eating your food slowly and with company.

2) Do it like the Dutch - Celebrate Neighbours Day
Make the effort to speak to your neighbours. Meet them for a coffee, help them in the shared garden or just stop to chat the next time you see then

3) Create critical analogue mass
Encourage your friends and family to have tech-free periods during the week, avoid the temptation to check your phone, and detox digitally.

4) Move more each day
Built more movement into your daily routine: take the stairs, have a meeting while going for a walk and park as far away from the supermarket entrance as possible

5) Start talking about mental health
Next time you ask someone how they are doing, have a real interest in their answer and do no accept fine"

6) Smile and chat to strangers
Hand out smiles and friendly remarks. They are free.

7) Don't ask, just help
Bypass the whole "Let me know if there is anything I or we can do thing. You know what to do.

8) Become a Raktvist
Start doing little Random Acts of Kindness

No comments:

Post a Comment

you are so cute! thanks for commenting:)