July 5, 2016

make your own happy - what i've learned from "happier" podcast

m a k e   y o u r   o w n   h a p p y ♥
Since we got back from our Honeymoon I've been getting back to the regular routine of our lovely life here in Toronto. One of my goals for 2016 was to listen to more Podcasts, and to always keep learning (whether that means reading, listening, doing and experiencing new things always)

I came across the Happier podcast by Gretchen Rubin and her sister Elizabeth Craft (Gretchen wrote The Happiness Project) and I really liked that book, and I reaaaaaaally like happiness. I know, I know - I am already a very happy person, but I really love learning about all sorts of habits of happy people. My goal is to get caught up on all 70 podcasts, and so far I'm about half way through the wonderful episodes! Here are a few (of my favourite) things I've learned so far from Happier:
  • The one minute rule - Gretchen & Elizabeth give such a simple and amazing tip, which is if you have one minute to do something that has been on your to-do list or on your mind, do it! If it is something that will contribute to your overall happiness then get er' done! This could be as simple as hanging that coat up, putting that dish away or wiping down that counter. This one is one of my favourite things I've learned and I can honestly say that I am doing it every day. Just these little things that allow us to do all the things we can do in a day!
  • Stop reading that book - How many times have you kept reading a book because you felt like you had to finish it? I've definitely done that a few times because it felt like the thing to do. The girls talk about how if you really don't enjoy the book, then put it down and find one you love!
  • Have a place for everything - This is such a simple yet satisfying one. I do my best to organize our little home as best we can but I know that this is a big one I can totally improve on. Having a place for everything makes you feel at ease, and that when ever you need something you can confidently say you know exactly where it is.
  • Relationships make people happiest - Studies show that one of the things that make us happiest are the relationships in our lives. Having an amazing relationship with my husband, friends, family and co-workers is something I invest so much of my time in and means so much to me! It doesn't mean you need to have tons of these relationships. Even just a small few who you can always count on will contribute to your own happy.
  • Warm greetings & farewells - They talk about starting and ending each day with love. This is something that can be easily overlooked, naturally. It's a great idea to really start and end each day with a positive thought, gesture, hug, kiss, smile and warm vibe. No matter how you feel that day or in that moment, take the extra time to start & end the day with a warm greeting or farewell, it definitely makes every day better.
  • Take fifteen minutes a day to brainstorm - This is another great and very simple happiness tip to implement in to your every day (or a few times a week if you can!) Take fifteen minutes of your day to work on something that is important to you. This can be related to work, an event your planning, a goal or dream you have, a cool idea for a blog post, anything! I am going to make a conscious effort to at dedicate at least fifteen minutes a day for this.
  • Find/identify your special places - Everyone has at least one place that is really special and/or important to them! It could be a coffee shop, a park, a cottage, a place where you spent time growing up, somewhere in your own home, but where ever it is - identify that place so that if you need to spend some time there for a pick me up, or to get inspired then you know exactly where to go.
  • Act the way you want to feel - Seems simple enough. I feel like this one can be tougher now a days with social media and the pressure to be, think or act a certain way. But when it comes down to it, it's quite simple - and that is to act the way you want to feel.
PS - That adorable sign that you see in the photo is from My Cinema Lighbox!

No comments:

Post a Comment

you are so cute! thanks for commenting:)